Once upon a time, not too terribly long ago, I was a girl-child. More specifically, I was an Air Force Brat living in the great state of North Dakota. Each summer we would make the trip, by car, to my parents home in the state of Kentucky. My most pronounced memories are of us taking this trip in a Honda Civic.
That's right.....I said four people in a Honda Civic on a two-day marathon drive.
I would take turns staying with both sets of grandparents. Both equally influencing me in ways I couldn't understand in that given moment. Once, when I was staying with my Mom's parents, we were invited to supper at my grandmother's friends' house.
My grandmother, Bird, had been longtime friends with Minnie, a tall, very slender woman who lived on a farm with her husband. Minnie had raised three children and was grandmother to several. Minnie also lived in a holler. A place so remote that there was no access road out of it. You had to turn around and drive back out to your destination.
She lived in a plain, Federal style farmhouse that had kittens in the front yard.
Kittens, I said.....very important to a girl-child.
Minnie also had a closed in back porch that held an enamel bucket with cold water and a dipper gourd. A dipper gourd that I couldn't resist, much to my mother's chagrin.
Supper was about fresh garden produce and, if I remember correctly, chicken. And, then came dessert.
Minnie asked me if I would like some pudding.
I said no, as I knew I didn't like pudding. Then, I saw everyone else receiving a small plate of cake. Cake? Yes, a yellow sponge cake that I said yes to. Our area is home to so very many descendants of the British Isles and the vocabulary has stayed true through time. Thus, Minnie referred to cake as, "pudding", an English term for dessert.
It just goes to show you what small moments mean to someone through their lifetime. Ms. Minnie passed away quite a number of years ago, but I remember that moment in her home, though brief, with extreme fondness.
Something triggered a memory of Minnie just the other day and I decided to research a recipe to do justice to her, "pudding cake".
Here you will find a recipe for Victorian Sponge Cake. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.

0 Yorumlar